Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Feels Like Hail

I grew up in a mid-sized Midwestern town where weather is a main event. As soon as the loud, monotone beep and furrowed-brow of our friendly weatherman cut into Heathcliff Huxtable's latest dispensing of fatherly wisdom, my family would toss down our corn-on-the-cob and run out to the back porch (as opposed to the basement where we had been instructed to hunker down). It was exciting, let me tell you.

Hail, though, is a different story. While it's exhilarating to watch a black wall of clouds form and begin to rotate, it is not so fun to be hit on the head by golf-ball sized chunks of ice (or at least that's what mom told me when I tried to run outside). So, when hail came along, we stayed inside and continued to watch TV, though the volume had to be turned up to hear Theo's high-pitched protestations over the hail crashing down on the roof. When it was all over, we went out to survey the damage: detached roof shingles, broken windshields, dented cars. It all seemed a bit surreal.

That's a bit how I felt during last week's protests. I stayed inside all day Wednesday, but heard gun shots & helicopters, smelled burning tires, and kept at least 1 ear glued to the news to try to understand what was happening. I read a book and a half. I napped, even though I had woken up just 2 hours prior. And then, when I went out the next day, I surveyed the damage.

Glass windows and plastic signs on nearly every business and organization had been destroyed by rocks. Black circles polka-dotted the main roads where tires had been burnt. Trash was everywhere, as were kids who were home all week due to the schools closing.

Despite my neighborhood's bad reputation, it seems that I was in a better place than my fellow MCCers in Port. Some saw lootings, beatings, and who knows what else. Another was gassed (with tear-gas) in his home.

But for me, the only time I really felt stressed or in danger was the day I spent listening to a colleague at RNDDH give minute-by-minute updates of the progress of events (some of which were false, I found out). It wasn't so much that we were in danger at that point, but her exaggerated, the-sky-is-falling manner of speaking put me on edge.

Things seem back to normal for now, but no one really knows if/how long the calm will last. The Prime Minister was stripped of his position, but it's not as though world food prices have gone down or international trade (or aid!) policies have changed in the past few days. So, we'll see.

Thanks all of you who called and emailed to check in. It's nice to know I'm not forgotten. If you want more details, check out my friends' blogs (see links on right).

-L

4 comments:

Peter said...

Interesting comparison, although it seems to me like you have taken artistic license on our youth. At least, my memories are rather different than yours on weather, our response, and what was on tv during dinner.

Glad to hear you are ok. I was thinking about you today as we had a panel forum on global economics. (One of the panelists even mentioned Haiti and recent events.) It has been interesting to hear about events through the blogs of your friends, but I appreciate your perspective, too.

Andrea

Lindsay said...

Isn't that what blogging is all about? Telling your life as you want others to know it?

It's true, I did take a bit of artistic license. I have always hated corn-on-the-cob, and thus would have been more likely to throw down my fork, rather than a cob.

Oh, and yes, I believe that Cosby was on before dinner, not during.

Dave said...

After initially feeling like a total failure as a parent for not heading immediately to the basement with you, I then rationalized that I did you a favor. What could you compare post Haitian riot conditions to if it were not for the childhood weather experiences?
What is your neighborhood's bad reputation? What do I not know?
Glad you didn't have to find out how to deal with tear gas.
Mom

Cheryl Wedra said...

Lindz, as your aunt (OK so I took a little relational license...), I've been concerned about your safety and am so glad to read your blog update and that you are OK. Because I'm not your Mom or Dad, I can say, "COME HOME!!!" How can my little sweet niece be in Haiti on her own? Wha' happen'd? Somewhere you grew up but that's OK - the miracle is that I've stayed the same as when you were a little girl. Isn't God good?!? Seriously (if that's possible for me), Art and I, and Aunt Rose pray for you, your mission, and your safety often. Know that your extended family love you very much.

"Aunt" Cheryl