Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Change Is in the Air

Springtime has arrived, which means that many of you will soon find yourselves humming along to the sweet tunes of the ice cream truck as you scrounge for your pennies and dash out the door to indulge in a pre-dinner orange push-up.

As I mentioned in a previous blog, it's not the ice cream trucks here that belt out music-box versions of 90s pop-music hits, but the water trucks. (Namely because there are no ice cream trucks in Haiti.) Though I've been told they have a small repertoire, the only song I've ever hear the trucks play is Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On."

But not anymore, my friends.

The past few days, the over-played theme of Titanic has been strangely absent. What has taken its place? The song from Napoleon Dynamite.

To be completely honest, I'm not actually sure what song they're playing. But it reminds me of the song from ND, which makes me think of the movie and smile, so I'm going to let myself continue thinking that's what they're playing.

I have to say, this is a welcome change.

-L

(And you thought this was going to be a soul-searching post!)

2 comments:

Peter said...

There is a song in Napoleon Dynamite? Well, I never did quite see the charm in that movie, so I guess that it makes sense that I do not remember the details very well.

Our ice cream truck does not play music, it is just a guy announcing "Ice cream, get your ice cream," repeatedly. Kind of like the guy selling crackerjacks or beer at the ball game.

While I know that I am a bit out of step, shall we say, with much of our peers, if I didn't have Joplin's "The Entertainer," I think that I would go for Celine. There you have it, another reason to tease me.

Andrea

Peter said...

I on the other hand think that Napoleon Dynamite rocks.