Friday, September 21, 2007

Something of Substance

Confession time. I haven't really liked my blog so far (particularly not after reading yours, Lora). I feel like all of my posts have been mass dumpings of uninteresting information. I tell you I go to the mountains, but I don't feel that I convey any of the emotions involved with the trip. Unfortunately, due to the vast amount of information I feel I need to convey and the limited access I have had to computers, that's how it has ended up. If any of you have noticed this as well, rest assured that I will try to change.

As my first attempt, here are a few things I'm working through. For those of you who believe in God, consider these my prayer requests.

Energy & Sleep.
Life in a new country is exhausting. I often find myself going mentally blank in the middle of conversations simply because I do not have any energy left to try to understand what people are saying. This problem is compounded by the roosters that begin crowing at 4am (sound familiar, Brent?), the dogs that bark all night, and the group of people who sit in the alley outside my window and blare hip-hop till all hours of the night. I fear that good sleep will be hard to come by.

Relationships.
I love the North American MCC staff. This is a HUGE blessing, seeing as they're my main support. I have also connected fairly well with the Haitians who have spent time working with MCC. This is also a huge blessing. I have a difficult time, though, reminding myself that after 1 month in the country, it's okay that my relationships only exist with "Americanized Haitians." I have to remember that this is the first step in learning to relate Haitians who do not understand the idiosyncrasies of cross-cultural relationships.

Stress.
Port is a stressful city. It's overcrowded. It's aggressive. It's hot. Things never work like they're supposed to. People are literally struggling to stay alive, not to mention the struggle they go through to provide for their families. I am trying to not internalize the stressful energy that drives Port, but it's difficult to live in it without it effecting me.

Work.
I start work at RNDDH Monday. I'm excited, but nervous as well.

Language.
Today is my last Kreyol lesson & I feel like I just hit a wall in my language development. Things that should make sense don't; there seems to be a million different ways to say the same thing; and despite all of its similarities with French, I'm still learning a whole new language with all that implies. It's wonderful and frustrating all at the same time.

Praise.
I got my first letter in the mail yesterday! Yea! Thanks, mom and dad. It made my day.

-L

No comments: