Friday, September 21, 2007

Word Play

Language is a funny thing, no? A few words can convey so much. Here are some of my favorite phrases I've heard and or learned so far.

----

Essential Kreyol for the Countryside (Those of you who know Kreyol, forgive the spelling!)

Kr:
"Ou mache?"
"Wi, m mache."
Eng:
"Are you out for a walk?"
"Yes, I'm out for a walk."
This exchange occurs with each person you pass, whether they're out on the road, too, or in their yard.

Kr:
"W'ap banye?"
"Wi, m'ap banye."
Eng:
"Are you taking a bath?"
"Yes, I'm taking a bath."
This exchange occurs with each person who passes by while you bathe in the river.

Kr:
"Ai! Anpil labu!"
"Wi, anpil labu."
Eng:
"Wow. You're really muddy."
"Yes, I'm very muddy."
Somehow Haitians are able to walk through mud without getting muddy. I am not.

Kr:
"M pa rele Este. Este se lot blan."
Eng:
"My name is not Esther. Esther is the other white person who lives here."
This was my response to the children who called out "Esther" each time I walked past. Esther is one of the MCCers in Dezam. I think they have adopted her name as another word for "blan" or "white person."

----

I chuckle (for lack of other healthy response) that in my Kreyol book's listing on "Common Creole Verbs" it has the translations for "Assassinate," "Over Throw," "Arrest," "Decree," alongside "Hope."

----

Conversation of the week:
Bethany: "Wow, Lindsay! What happened to your legs?"

Me, looking down at my legs: "Huh? What? Where?"

Bethany, the look of horror increasing on her face: "Are those ALL mosquito bites???"

Me: "Oh, yeah, mosquito and some other type of bug they have in the mountains."

Marylynn, shaking her head: "Oh my goodness. Do you remember how beautiful Lindsay's legs were when she came?"


-L

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You must not be used to country living. A full body citronella dip usually does the trick for me when I'm staying in Alabama.